Friday, June 16, 2006
A new direction or a fastlane to hell?
Ok, today I've been looking over the Democrats "new direction" plan. It's a new direction ok, right on a downward spiral. Here's the propaganda er plan. Let's take a look at it in some detail.My comments in yellow
- MAKE HEALTH CARE MORE AFFORDABLE
- Fix the prescription drug program by putting people ahead of drug companies and HMOs, eliminating wasteful subsidies, negotiating lower drug prices and ensuring the program works for all seniors; invest in stem cell and other medical research.
- Hmm, can you socialistic medicine? I mean it's worked so well in other countries. Do they not understand that by making the drug companies the enemy they will actually stifle new drug research? The drug companies and HMO's will do whatever they need to do to make a profit. If that means they cut R&D then they will.
- LOWER GAS PRICES AND ACHIEVE ENERGY INDEPENDENCE
- Crack down on price gouging; eliminate billions in subsidies for oil and gas companies and use the savings to provide consumer relief and develop American alternatives, including biofuels; promote energy efficient technology.
- Um, what about opening ANWAR? I notice there's no mention of wind energy! What about the Dem's driving instructor Teddy Kennedy blocking a wind farm in his own backyard? The oil industry works on cycles, where were the Dem's when oil was losing money? In addition, the amount of OIL isn't the issue, it's the amount of REFINERIES that are an issue. Free market capitalism works, high oil prices will spur more and more investment in alternative energies.
- HELP WORKING FAMILIES
- Raise the minimum wage; repeal tax giveaways that encourage companies to move jobs overseas.
- Ok, now lets be realistic how many people are working for minimun wage now? You know who is working for minimum wage? Teenagers and illegal immigrants. You see, the real plan for the dem's works like this. Raise the minimum wage, have small business not hire as many people thus creating less jobs, less jobs equal more people on welfare, equals more votes for the welfare party. Look here for a study on the impact of raising minimum wage. We currently are under 5% unemployment, most economists say that 5% unemployment is tantamount to full employment but the Dem's complain that wages aren't rising. You know what causes that? A cheap pool of labor flooding in from outside the country!
- CUT COLLEGE COSTS
- Make college tuition deductible from taxes; expand Pell grants and cut student loan costs.
- Sure I'm ok with college tuiton being tax deductible (even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes). Let's also get rid of "affirmative action" being the deciding factor on grants. However, I think we need to also clean up our colleges. They have been invaded by the culture of liberalism and they have turned partisan. No college that has a decidedly partisan curriculum should recieved federal funds.
- ENSURE DIGNIFIED RETIREMENT
- Prevent the privatization of Social Security; expand savings incentives; ensure pension fairness.
- You know what the shame is? Dem's claimed to have "fixed" social security under Clinton...so why's it still a mess? For one thing, social security was never meant to be the sole support for a retiree but rather a supplement. However, Dem's have turned it into "bread and circuses" insomuch that people now depend on it. Most companies do not even offer pensions anymore, thats a red herring for non-union voters and a total pandering job to the unions. Look at the UAW and the Big 3 auto for what the combo of unions and pensions equal. The government can not even manage a DMV worth a shit, so we want to let them manage our retirement? No thank you, my individual retirement fund is up much higher then an government run plan.
- REQUIRE FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Restore the budget discipline of the 1990s that helped eliminate deficits and spur record economic growth.
- Their right that we need more fiscal responsibility. Let's start by cutting the pork. Then we can move to cut the costs spent on illegal immigrants. That will have an impact on several fronts, health care system costs will go down, less costs incurred by the education system, more Americans working for a higher wage. While I agree with the Dem's here I think they may look at it differently. Notice there is no "plan" here but just a slogan.